“When People Are Big and God is Small”
Proverbs 29: 25
January 28, 2018
Pastor Tim Meendering
Questions for further study/discussion:
1. Read Proverbs 29:25, Psalm 56:11, and Jeremiah 17:5-7. What is the common
theme through these texts?
2. What are the ways that you have been most fearful of or controlled by the opin-
ions of others?
3. In what ways do you often try to fit in or how have you looked to others for their
acceptance? Can you see where you have been more concerned with looking stupid
(fear of people) than acting sinfully (fear of God)?
We get trapped into peer pressure or people-pleasing because we replace
_________ with __________.
4. As you read 1 Samuel 15:24, John 12:42-43, Ephesians 6:19-20, and Matthew 22:15
-16, what gets in the way of being bold and obedient for God? How is this a struggle
5. When you read Isaiah 33:6 and 1 Peter 3:13-15, what is the key for turning away
from the fear of people?
God becomes big through his __________ revealed in the _____________.
6. We saw from Isaiah 6 how God can be our rock when all the other things that we
look to for security, approval and identity fall apart. What are the things that you
most look to as an idol or alternative to God for security, approval and identity?
7. Read and meditate on Zephaniah 3:15-17 and then consider how Jesus was horri-
bly rejected so that you can forever be accepted and approved by your Father in
heaven. How does this change the influence or control that people have on you? How
would you describe how God works through the gospel to influence and empower
Take some time to praise and thank him for the glory of his love, grace and mercy
that changes everything.